With more than 3,600 recognized
institutions of higher learning in the US, it isn't always
easy to select the right college or university.
To help you make such an important decision, you'll want to
ask yourself a few important questions first.
- Is the school accredited
- How well respected is the academic major
that you'll be selecting?
- Is it a private
or public institution?
- Would you prefer a university,
a college or a community college?
- How large is the average class size?
- Are the professors focused on the students or do their
interests lie in research and publication?
- Will the program prepare you for the workforce? Are
internships available and encouraged?
- What is the quality of their campus libraries, computer
centers and overall facilities?
- How does the tuition compare to other schools? Are tuition
waivers, scholarships and grants available for international
- What region of the country is the school located? To
explore the 50 US States, click here.
- Is it located in a big city or small town? How is the
- What is the area's safety record? What is the school's
- What type of housing
is available? Do the on-campus dormitories close during the
US holiday season? How will this affect you, especially if
you plan to stay on campus during this time?
- Will you need to use public transportation (e.g., buses,
subways, and taxicabs)? Are these services available for a
- What types of cultural activities are available in that
area? What type of sporting events and recreational
- Will the school's location and social environment promote
a healthy and stimulating learning experience?
- Does the school offer international student organizations?
- Do they offer an adequate student
orientation program, as well as an airport pickup
- Will there be extra opportunities for you to learn about
the US culture?
- How many other foreigners are studying at this campus?
Consider these questions as a helpful checklist for your
search. By paying attention to these issues now, you'll save
yourself a lot of headaches down the road.